REFERE NCES - GENERAL AND BIBLIOGRAPHICAL
Locations: DPL Denver Public Library
CAR Boulder Library, Carnegie Branch
FHC Family History Center
1. Jensen, Larry O., A Genealogical Handbook of German Research, Volume 1, P. O. Box 441, Pleasant Grove UT
2. Ostwald, L. T., "Immigration, Emigration, Naturalization and Passenger Lists", Boulder Genealogical Society Quarterly, Volumes 24-2 May 1992
3. Eakle, Arlene & Cerny, Johni, The Source, Table 15-2, Ancestry Publishing Co. 1984
4. Filby, P. Wm and Meyer, Mary K. Passenger and immigration Lists Index, 3 Volumes 1981 plus 1983-1990 Supplements. DPL and Boulder Library Carnegie Branch (CAR). Some references cited are publications associating surnames with villages of origin.
5. Ostwald, L. T. "Surname Hunting in Published Sources", Colorado Chapter Palatines to America Newsletter, Volumes 7-4 and 8-1
6. Smith, Kenneth L., German Church Books - Beyond the Basics, Picton Press, Camden ME 1989
7. Jeffery, James K., DPL, German Genealogy Bibliography, List of Holdings at DPL, many of which pertain to Emigration to Pennsylvania.
. Family History Library (FHL), Salt Lake City, UT - Many published and original sources, most available on microfilm available through local Family History Centers.
HELPFUL IN FINDING GEO-LOCATION OF VILLAGE OF ORIGIN
8. Euro-Autoatlas Zentraleuropa, 1:300,000, RV Verlag, (DPL & CAR).
9. Meyers Orts- und Verkehrs- Lexikon des Deutschen Reichs, Printed German script. Gazetteer of German Empire of 1912. Reference Fiche, 100 Most-Used Books, FHC.
10. Army Map Service, Map Series 1:100,000, Germany or Central Europe, DPL, CU-Norlin Library (NOR)
11. U. S. Department of Geography, European Place-Name Index, 1945-1950. Gives latitude and longitude for villages and named map features. DPL & NOR
12. German Postal Code Directory, Postleitzahlenbuch: Alphabetisch geordnet Divided into three parts. Lists about 50,000 villages. Ask at municipal public libraries.
MOST WITH VILLAGES OF ORIGIN - 18TH-CENTURY IMMIGRANTS
13. Strassburger, Ralph B. and Hinke, Wm. John, Pennsylvania German Pioneers, Pennsylvania German Society, Norristown PA, 1934 3 Vols.
14. Burgert, Annette K., 18th Century Emigrants from German-speaking Lands: Vol. 1-Northern Kraichgau, Vol. 2-Western Palatinate, and Volume 3-Westerwald (Co-author Hank Jones). Also Northern Alsace. DPL and loan via CAR.
15. Jones, Henry Z., The Palatine Families of New York, Universal City, California, 1985. CAR, DPL.
16. Krebs, Friederick, Emigrants from the Palatine to the Amer. Colonies in the 18th Century, Pa. Ger. Folklore Soc., 1951 A List of Immigrants to the Amer. Colonies from Zweibrücken, German Society of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 19123, 1953.
17. Franz, E. G., Auerbach, I., Froehlich, O., Hessisch Truppen im Americanischen Unabhängigkeitskreig, Hessian Troops in the American Revolution (HETRINA), 5 Vols. Archivschule Marburg, 1972-1976. (DPL)
18. Yoder, Don, Pennsylvania German Immigrants 1984, and Rheinland Emigrants 1985, Genealogical Publishing Company.
19. Hacker, Werner, Auswanderer aus Baden und dem Breisgau, Auswanderung aus Hochstadt Speyer in l8. Jahrhundert, Auswanderung aus Rheinfalz u. Saarland, Kurpfälzische Auswanderer vom Unteren Neckar, Thousands of Surnames with Village of Origin. Use Index with caution regarding umlauts! (DPL).
Selected Sorces - 19th Cen tury Immigrants With Village of Origan
20. Zimmerman, Gary J. and Wolfert , Marion, Lists of Passengers Bound from Bremen to N.Y, 1847-1862, The Genealogical Publishing Co., Balt. 1985-1986 (DPL). Includes only passengers from Bremen who gave village of origin upon arriving.
21. Glazier, Ira A. and Filby, P. William, ed., Germans to America; Lists of Passengers Arriving at U.S. Ports, 1850-1870, 30 Vols. Scholarly Resources, Wilmington DE. (DPL) Includes complete arrival lists for ships coming from all ports and having a passenger compliment with at least 80% surnames of German origin.
22. Family History Library, "The Hamburg
Passenger Lists 1850-1934", Salt Lake City UT 1980
23. Schenk, Trudy, Ruth Froelke, and Inge Bork, Württemberg Emigration Lists, 5 Volumes, lists of 19th Century emigrants.
24. Stumpf, Karl, The Emigration from Germany to Russia in the Years 1763 to 1862, American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, Lincoln, Neb., 1978. (CAR)
25. Schräder-Muggenthaler, Cornelia, The Alsace Emigration Book, Volumes 1 & 2, (DPL) Thousands of Surnames of 19th Century Emigrants, with villages of origin.